Ensure successful transformations with NEB competent E. coli for cloning. Choose from several high efficiency competent cell strains in a variety of formats that deliver performance, convenience and value.
NEB Competent E. coli – building a strong foundation for your cloning experiments.
- High transformation efficiencies
- EndA deficient for high quality plasmid preparation
- T1 phage resistant
- RecA deficient for reduced recombination of cloned DNA
- Free of animal products
- Suitable for blue/white screening
- Available as single-use tubes or multiple use aliquots
- Outgrowth media and control plasmid included
- Bulk sales capabilities with custom packaging formats
A versatile E. coli strain, NEB 5-alpha is a derivative of DH5α™, and has the same genetic features of this popular cloning strain. NEB 5-alpha offers high transformation efficiencies, convenient formats and value pricing. Whether you are doing routine cloning, subcloning or looking for a high efficiency (electrocompetent) format, NEB 5-alpha is the ideal strain for you.
NEB 10-beta is a DH10B™ derivative that can be used for routine cloning, but is ideally suited for the cloning of large plasmids and BACs. NEB 10-beta also offers high transformation efficiencies, convenient formats and value pricing.
Dam/Dcm methyltransferase free plasmid growth
With colonies visible in 6.5 hours, NEB Turbo couples fast colony growth and tight control of expression. Available as high efficiency chemical competent or electrocompetent cells. NEB Turbo can used for the cloning/expression of toxic genes.
- Transformation efficiency: 1-3 x 109 cfu/µg pUC19 DNA
- Recommended host strain for cloning genes into retroviral/ lentiviral vectors
- Recommended for cloning of direct repeats and inverted repeat sequences
- Reduced recombination of cloned DNA (recA1)
- Efficient transformation of methylated DNA derived from eukaryotic sources or unmethylated DNA derived from PCR, cDNA and many other sources [mcrAΔ(mrr-hsdRMS-mcrBC)]
- Activity of nonspecific endonuclease I (endA1) eliminated for highest quality plasmid preparations
- Resistance to phage T1 (fhuA)
- Suitable for blue/white screening with vectors capable of alpha-complementation
Further information can be found in our Technical Resources section or at neb.com